Manchester City v Sunderland: a winnable game, a special ‘Guess the Score’

Jake cannot believe prizes are back

As the final whistle is blown on Saturday, Monsieur Salut may well prove to have been absurdly optimistic with the headline that drew you here.

Of course we could be blown away as sharply as the ref blows his whistle. Player for player, the expensively assembled Manchester City have a distinct edge on the useful squad available to Martin O’Neill.

But MON’s most recent record against the Premier League champions and Champions League stutterers gives us reason for hope.

It matters not a jot that Ji Dong-won’s goal at the Stadium of Light on New Year’s Day was offside. It finished a move as aesthetic as you’ll see in football and should therefore have stood on artistic grounds alone. And it brought us three points, so all debate ceases.

Any sense of injustice felt by City was more than adequately answered by the undeserved Great Escape they pulled off at Eastlands to prevent a 3-1 or at least 3-2 victory for Sunderland in the return match in March.

The two points dropped by City that day were, of course, the only ones they conceded at home all season. After being dominated by Dortmund last night and, again, scraping a draw, they must be paralysed with fear at the prospect of having to face us again.

Jake calls for Eastlands heroics

Sunderland should go into the game thinking it winnable. Having taken four points and missed out on two more last season, we can do it again. That isn’t to say we should treat it as just another game against just another team; last season’s heroics came from an ability to see City as special and rise to the two occasions.

My own prediction, based on a belief that carries less logical force than would be required to go for a thumping defeat, is 2-2 with Fletcher scoring at least once.

* See Monsieur Salut on Speedy Steven Fletcher’s recall to the Scottish squad …http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/sunderland/id/369?cc=5739

In honour of the challenge we face, Guess the Score restores a prize, possibly for this week only, possibly as a precursor to future policy. We’ll see.

Be the first to forecast the correct score and do so before kickoff on Saturday and if you buy one of our famous if lesser spotted MON mugs, a second will be yours for free. The design will be amended accordingly if a City fan is the winner. My decision is final.

... and see Simon

See an outstanding edition of ‘Who are You?’ with Simon Curtis from Down the Kippax Steps, here: http://salutsunderland.com/2012/10/manchester-city-v-safc-who-are-you-yearnings-for-liddle-old-citeh/

To be modified if a Citeh fan wins

Monsieur Salut, by Matt

Salut! Sunderland is written, illustrated and edited by – and principally for – supporters of Sunderland AFC. The site aims to be sufficiently literate and entertaining to appeal to people who do not follow SAFC but enjoy good football writing.

16 Responses to “Manchester City v Sunderland: a winnable game, a special ‘Guess the Score’” Subscribe

1. salutsunderland October 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

2-2, as indicated above. Eternal optimist – but if anyone else fancies this as the scoreline, take it. Mine doesn’t count as an entry

2. Bill Taylor October 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

3. Jeremy October 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

No Salut. I too have gone for 2-2.

4. CSB October 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Wher angels fear to tread, I will go for City 1 Sunderland 2.

Hope springs eternal

5. Jeremy October 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Love your optimism, CSB………… love it. Don’t share it though, sadly 🙂

A draw was all I dare dream of.

6. William C October 4, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

I do share CSB’s optimism. 0-1 for me. Another one for Fletch.

7. Pete Sixsmith October 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

City were outclassed by Dortmund on Wednesday, so our turn on Saturday; 1-3

8. Eric October 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Buy one, win one? Different. 3-3 again.

9. Phil Johnson October 5, 2012 at 1:22 am #

Do Waitrose run BOGOF promotions?

I thought that they were only within the domains of those perceived as the “lesser lights”.

Anyway, back to the game, I agree with Bill so 1-1.

10. salutsunderland October 5, 2012 at 6:51 am #

Sorry Eric. You’ll feel reassured if I promise you that Salut! Sunderland will continue to run at a heavy loss. No obligation to buy anything; you can always do it just for fun!

11. Dennis October 5, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Just to antagonise Monsieur S 3-0 to the Blues.

• salutsunderland October 19, 2012 at 6:43 am #

Dennis. Le grand retour – planning and embarking on UK hibernation – caused me to overlook your winning entry. I’ll be in touch about the prize.

12. malcolm October 5, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Man City 0 Sunderland 5

13. MartinW October 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

0-1. Early goal and we’ll survive a barrage of city attacks to take the points.

• Phil Johnson October 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

My only concern (and maybe it should not be) is Yaya Toure and how we will cope with him, without Cattermole.

If his forays are not countered then, I think, we will have problems – if they are then I’m, fairly, confident about coming out of the game with, at least, a point.

14. Ian_SAfc October 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

We were winning 1-3 last time until they luckily nabbed two goals in five mins. Could we be City’s bogey team?