Jake says: ‘have a go’

As Paul Summerside put it here earlier this week, Saturday’s game at Oakwell is a much more important test of Simon Grayson’s Sunderland than a 2nd league cup tie could ever be.

The result will not determine the course of our season. But the psychological impact of a good one, which means three points not one, would be huge. A bad does not bear thinking about, even this early in the season.

Sunderland are broke. Money received for Jordan Pickford, or saved because other outgoing players were on high wages, is not readily available to Grayson. He is shopping at Poundland not Harrods and the squad has severe limitations.

But it is not a useless squad. There is quality and commitment in there. And there must be scope for modest strengthening before the window closes.

Team spirit can count for a lot, perhaps more at Championship level than in the Premier League, and if Grayson is managing to create good feelings and a bond among his players, that will translate into points.

As usual, we have a decent package for th Barnsley build-up. Pete Sixsmith has written another outstanding piece for his First Time Ever I Saw Your Ground/Team series. It will appear tomorrow or Friday. We have an excellent set of Who are You? responses from a Barnsley supporter.

And now it’s time to guess the score.

I will stump up again for a prize – a mug reflecting your footballing allegiance, meaning Barsley fans are welcome to have a go, too – but a winner, like those from the earlier games of the season so far, will have to be patient. I will get round to ordering the prizes as soon as I can but it can be a laborious process and I have been a little busy of late.

Usual rules: be first with the cortects core, post it here before kickoff and have a UK delivery address. My decision shall be final .

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Barnsley vs Sunderland Guess the Score: the need to show we’re a Championship force” Subscribe

1. Malc Ray August 23, 2017 at 3:07 pm #

I was late for the Carlisle game so my favourite 2-1 prediction had gone, well I can’t see it coming up again quickl so I’m going for a clean sheet and a brace into the Barnsley net
    2-0 Sunderland

2. Paul August 23, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

3-1 to Sunderland

3. Eric012 August 23, 2017 at 3:45 pm #

Another effort from my son Philip who confidently predicts 1 – 0 to us – Vaughan to get off the mark.

4. William C August 23, 2017 at 4:46 pm #

2-1 to SAFC

5. Phil D August 23, 2017 at 7:29 pm #

We seem to be better away from home.
    An optimistic 3-0 to Sunderland.

6. David August 23, 2017 at 8:49 pm #

I’m too late for my chosen score so I’ll go for 2-2

7. Mike August 23, 2017 at 9:18 pm #

The Lads to win 4-2, Vaughan(2),McGeady,Ndong.

8. CSB August 24, 2017 at 10:13 am #

Barnsley 1 – 3 Sunderland

I think shopping at Poundstretcher is a bit out of our current league as well, more like a Garage sale for us right now. The thing is, is it worth losing Ndong, Kone. Karzie (sic – on performances this season he can go) for the additional funds?

9. Bill H August 24, 2017 at 11:08 am #

10. david miller August 24, 2017 at 11:44 am #

I also reckon 2-0 to the Lads, but it’s been selected so I will go again for a 4-1 victory to SAFC.

11. Wrinkly Pete August 25, 2017 at 10:14 am #

Madness – 4-3 win to The Lads.

12. Mel August 26, 2017 at 7:40 am #

Still the ever eternal optimist had a good week this week after successful heart op think I can stand the excitement of listening on the radio reuiter to start we will be in safe hands and Oviedo instead of Galloway clean sheet and 4-0 to the lads