Jake kicks off a new season of Guess the Score

Pete Sixsmith has added another superb instalment to his self-inflicted First Time Ever I Saw Your Team series.

Whoever who support, it’s a great read, taking in Sixer’s experiences of seeing SAFC play Bury.

Monsieur Salut thought he had missed a rather important shared experience of the more distant past – that awful Boxing Day in 1962 when Brian Clough collided with the blameless Bury keeper Chris Harker. But Sixer wasn’t there that day to share the agony of the Fulwell end (compounded by Charlie Hurley’s missed penalty and a 1-0 defeat).

Torn medial and cruciate ligaments were a lot harder to repair back then and although Cloughie came back, it was not for another season and a half and the injury effectively ended his playing career. Was it a blessing in disguise given how distinguished a manager he became?

On Thursday we play Bury again. Guess the Score and if I am in a good enough mood, the winner gets a mug – regardless of the team he or she supports.

As for our partisan interest, it would be nice to embark on a decent cup run. We can guess Simon Grayson will try out various people on Thursday and just hope they come good.

But whether you support SAFC or Bury or some team in the Mid-Somerset Football League, tell us what the score will be at the end of normal plus any added/extra time.

Tags: ,

Salut! Sunderland is written, illustrated and edited by – and principally for – supporters of Sunderland AFC. The site aims to be sufficiently literate and entertaining to appeal to people who do not follow SAFC but enjoy good football writing.

15 Responses to “Guess the Score as Sunderland take on Bury in the League Cup” Subscribe

1. Robbo August 7, 2017 at 8:01 pm #

I’m going for 2-0 SAFC win with a much changed team

2. Paul August 7, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

2-1 to Sunderland.

3. Mel August 7, 2017 at 9:37 pm #

Hi afraid to admit but was there in 62 as an 8yr old enjoying a birthday present which turned out not to be so much enjoyable but going for revenge and much heartened after Friday night think he will ring a few changes but feel we are in a much better place than the friendly so going for a 3-0 for the lads

4. Martin August 7, 2017 at 9:39 pm #

2-3 loss I’m afraid with the younger lads just missing out on the next round

5. Rob August 7, 2017 at 10:21 pm #

3-1 to the lads. Very impressed with the resilience shown against Derby. There is hope yet.

6. Phil D August 8, 2017 at 1:59 am #

1-0 to Sunderland, hopefully gaining fitness and confidence. Grayson will probably make some changes.

• Phil D August 11, 2017 at 11:48 am #

We have a winner.

• salutsunderland August 11, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

There are some folk who can have barely any room left in the cupboard for mugs

• Phil D August 13, 2017 at 2:23 am #

Maybe I am very clumsy, and break them.

In fact, my relatives have been pleased to receive them, some of whom now enjoy your site nearly as much as I do.

7. Eric012 August 8, 2017 at 7:21 am #

A 1-1 draw after extra time. Then, apparently, ABBA songs will be played over the tannoy and everyone goes home. Quite what this has to do with football escapes me.

8. david miller August 8, 2017 at 11:43 am #

5-1 to the lads.

9. Bill August 9, 2017 at 9:12 pm #

10. Geoff Bethell August 10, 2017 at 10:03 am #

I think Bury will score first but we will win 2-1

11. oky docky August 10, 2017 at 2:33 pm #

I think a 6-1 win,Vaughan hatrick,Kone,N’dong & Cattermole.

12. William C August 10, 2017 at 3:38 pm #

I’m going for a hopeful 4-0 to SAFC.