Malcolm Dawson writes….I nearly put SAFC v Dirty Leeds in the headline in an attempt to attract a few irate United fans along to our Guess the Score competition but opted for diplomacy rather than provocation.

If you’ve never been here before then all you have to do is be the first to correctly predict Saturday’s scoreline before kick off and a prize could well be winging its way to you post match should Monsieur Salut feel inclined to dig deep into the pockets of his pantalon.

It doesn’t matter who you support, any prize will reflect your allegiance and it doesn’t matter if your prediction is held for moderation because it’s the time you send in your entry which counts, not the time it appears on the site.

That does mean that you may think you are the first to post a particular scoreline, only to find that a first time responder has beaten you to it, so apologies in advance should that happen. Also be aware that prizes can only be sent to UK addresses so if you live overseas you will need a UK delivery address to claim your winnings and always remember M Salut’s decision is final.

As for the Dirty Leeds tag, I guess this dates back to the Don Revie era – Norman “bites your legs” Hunter, wee Billy Bremner, Charlton J and his little black book et al. But for me our rivalry was established in the 1963/64 season when they pipped us to the then 2nd Division title and I still knew them as the Peacocks, because of the traditional yellow and blue kit they had worn until a few years before when they adopted the familiar all white outfit.

I guess fans of both clubs will be happy if the table at the end of this season has our respective clubs in 1st and 2nd place and I guess most Sunderland fans will be satisfied on Saturday evening with a repeat of the scoreline from 5/5/73.

You never know – you could end up the proud owner of one of these (or a Leeds one)

Born in Hetton le Hole, deputy editor Malcolm Dawson’s first game at Roker Park was the three all draw with Leicester City at the beginning of the 64-65 season. Having spent more than thirty years living in the East Midlands, he was Chairman and Information Officer of the Heart of England Branch of the Supporters’ Association but has now returned to live in County Durham.

15 Responses to “SAFC vs Leeds United Guess the Score: who’ll be on top on Saturday?” Subscribe

1. gerry hobbs August 18, 2017 at 7:04 am #

3-1 Leeds of course!
    GerryCwmbran

• Eric012 August 18, 2017 at 8:57 am #

Gerry, I think M Salut may have a mug lying around without a handle. Expect to receive it should you win.

2. Mel August 18, 2017 at 8:03 am #

Difficult game but going for a 2-0 fancy Vaughn to get his first haway the lads

3. Malc Ray August 18, 2017 at 8:03 am #

2-1 Has gotta come eventually (or are we keeping it for the next time we play the mags) so I’m sticking with it – 3 points more important though

4. David August 18, 2017 at 8:16 am #

Same as the ’73 final score – 1-0

5. Wrinkly Pete August 18, 2017 at 8:26 am #

3-1 to The Lads

6. Eric012 August 18, 2017 at 8:59 am #

My son Philip is this week’s guest forecaster. 2 – 2 is his effort.

7. Paul August 18, 2017 at 10:14 am #

1-1 is my guess. A lot of tired legs out there and it has been
    a difficult start to the season, difficult in terms of opposition.

8. Phil D August 18, 2017 at 10:18 am #

3-0 to Sunderland.

Hopefully they will be fully recovered from the last match.

9. John Mac August 18, 2017 at 12:54 pm #

2-0 with Defoe & Borini scoring, as I keep telling you

10. david miller August 18, 2017 at 2:52 pm #

I think 4-1 to the lads.

11. William C August 18, 2017 at 4:48 pm #

Very tight game. SAFC to win 3-2

12. malcolm August 18, 2017 at 5:54 pm #

I’ve always believed Leeds were known as The Peacocks because they used to play in blue and yellow but Wikipedia says that Elland Road was originally called The Old Peacock Ground after a nearby pub.

13. Geoff Bethell August 18, 2017 at 8:14 pm #

14. Mike August 19, 2017 at 8:58 am #

The Lads to win 4-2, will be a good game.