Jake: willing the Lads to end the misery

For the second game in succession,
Guess the Score was won on Saturday by our Who are You? interviewee from the opposing side. So Everton supporter Bernard Walker and Cardiff City fan Mike Morris join the very select band of people waiting for elusive Salut! Sunderland prize mugs.

One of these days, Monsieur Salut’s ship will come in, bringing the cargo needed to make the mug purchases (ie some dosh). And one day, Sunderland will remind supporters what it feels like to follow a winning side, though at least the Ladies and Under 18s recorded victories at the weekend.

Our Ipswich Town “Who are You? volunteer, Dave Chamberlain, is out to make it an unwanted hat trick from our point of view. He reckons his Tractor Boys will win 2-1, though he also predicts a recovery in SAFC’s fortunes and says Simon Grayson must be given time. I make the obvious joke about that in my introduction to his interview.

It’s a rotten fixture, Tuesday night in the depth of East Anglia, but Sixer – manfully after all he’s had to endure so far this season – will be there. It remains to be seen whether he’ll find an internet cafe or library in which to compose another of his amdirable Soapbox reports. The result of the game may affect his taste for the search and stomach for the task.

In the meantime, have a go. Maybe we if we all hold hands and wish for a Sunderland win, it will happen. That’s my plan; not sure what Grayson’s might be.

The first reader to post the correct final scoreline shall be the winner and receive a mug, eventually, at a UK address of his or her choice. My decision shall be final.

Haway the Lads.

Salut! Sunderland is written, illustrated and edited by – and principally for – supporters of Sunderland AFC. The site aims to be sufficiently literate and entertaining to appeal to people who do not follow SAFC but enjoy good football writing.

15 Responses to “Ipswich Town vs Sunderland Guess the Score: we have to win some time” Subscribe

1. Dave Chamberlain September 25, 2017 at 6:27 am #

As per the new rule, the Who are You? interviewee (a Tractor boy exiled in the South Wales Valleys) goes first.

Here’s what he say when asked for his feelings on SAFC:

“I must admit to a slight bias here as my grandfather was a South Shields native and lifelong Black Cats fan. I have never visited Sunderland but, in my dealings with Mackems in the past I have noticed an openness and a strong sense of community that is very similar to where I live in the South Wales valleys.

In Simon Grayson you have a good young manager, he did well in getting Preston North End promoted last season, hopefully Ellis Short will give him the time and resources to his job properly.”

2-1 to Ipswich http://salutsunderland.com/2017/09/ipswich-town-who-are-you-give-grayson-time-says-tractor-boy-and-merthyr-town-fan/

2. david miller September 25, 2017 at 8:01 am #

3-0 to Ipswich and Grayson on his way out.

3. Mel September 25, 2017 at 8:16 am #

The eternal optimist again hey Dave give the gaffer a break players in and out with injury Rome wasn’t built in a day when he was able to play a settled side did well now players on way back things will turn for the better if we start putting away our early chances we will win games should have been 2 up before Cardiff scored stick with a win for the lads 3-0

• david miller September 25, 2017 at 2:26 pm #

Mel I hope you’re right, I am perturbed by the fact I am getting sympathy from Blackburn, Burnley, Sheffield Utd., and Oldham fans on my regular visits to work in Manchester.

You will note the absence of Manchester clubs’ fans.

4. Eric012 September 25, 2017 at 8:34 am #

Ipswich are similar to Cardiff. Some big strong boys who will brush aside our extremely lightweight 11. I’m afraid it’s another night with Benno & Barnes due to erratic train times. 2 – 0 to Ipswich.

5. Paul September 25, 2017 at 9:22 am #

1-1.

6. William C September 25, 2017 at 9:39 am #

I keep reminding myself that SG has a good record and his history indicates that he will eventually get it right.

Ipswich 0 SAFC 1

7. Drummer September 25, 2017 at 9:50 am #

We’re slightly better away from home so 2-2 with Watmore or Mcgeady making a difference.

8. Phil D September 25, 2017 at 10:08 am #

A clean sheet and, hopefully, the start of better things to come.

9. John Mac September 25, 2017 at 10:40 am #

Vaughan and Ndong.

10. Bill H September 25, 2017 at 11:25 am #

11. cupojoe September 25, 2017 at 3:45 pm #

0-1…hard fought win,looking good….up the table we go

12. CSB September 25, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

Can’t for the life of me see us getting a win or draw. Our downward trajectory at this time is simply too steep and we can’t stop the momentum!

Even without the injuries can’t see us being any better than lower table.

Tractor Boy’s will win and continue our misery.

13. Malc Ray September 25, 2017 at 6:02 pm #

2-1 to Sunderland – 3 points more important

14. Mike September 25, 2017 at 7:25 pm #

The Lads to win 3-2, any win would feel great.