Lovely view. I leave it to the more knowledgeable to say whether it’s from the Thames at Brentford or nearer Richmond

It is rare though not unheard of.

Without needing to post an entry, Clive Whittingham – a supporter of QPR not SAFC – won the Guess the Score competition , correctly predicting a 1-1 draw in our most recent 90 minutes of disappointment.

Observant readers will know of the new rule that the scoreline forecast by our Who are You? interviewee is automatically deemed the first entry in each competition.

I’ll be in touch with Clive and then make him wait as long for his prize as our own Sunderland-supporting winners had to until orders were finally dispatched.

And so to Brentford. With more sensible planning, this would have been my first game of the season. Home is a mile from Griffin Park. But I am 1,400km (sounds longer metric) away as I write and do not get back for UK hibernation until Monday night.

Boro away looks like being my own debut unless I can wangle one of the home games before then. No ticket needed, I imagine; get there within 20 minutes of kickoff and you might even get a game.

So to Brentford. My daughter scored for their ladies’ team in her first senior appearance (mind since it was 5-5, nearly everyone seemed to score). I was proud to see her in red and white stripes.

For Saturday, I have the usual fears. See what our Who are You? man says below. He could mean us. Yet, freed of the pressure of an utterly – and rightly – dejected, restless home crowd – could our players at last deliver?

We shall see.

Usual rules: Billy Grant, our Bees man and a hive of footballing knowledge (sorry), reckons a 2-0 home win so that is the first entry. Otherwise, be first, be right and have a UK delivery address. A wonderful prize, or mug, may be on its way … and other Brentford fans are warmly invited to have a go.

Haway the Lads not wearing red and white stripes on Saturday.

WHO ARE YOU? sample (interview will appear in full tomorrow – Wednesday – or Thursday):

Salut! Sunderland: you’ve started badly (if not as badly as us). Do you fear a troubled season ahead?

Billy Grant: Not at all … we’re playing very good football. We’ve been the better side in 80 per cent of the matches we’ve played this season. Every opposition fan on the Beesotted Pride of West London post-match podcast (PrideOfWest.London), has pointed out how good we were against them … If we were playing badly, I would be worried. But we have new players and they need to bed in. It will come. Someone is due a right bashing soon.

15 Responses to “Brentford ‘Guess the Score’. QPR fan won the last competition. Sunderland’s turn?” Subscribe

1. Billy Grant October 17, 2017 at 2:05 pm #

My Bees to be buzzing and stinging. We’ll win 2-0, honey (Salut! Sunderland’s wretched puns, not mine).

2. John Mac October 17, 2017 at 2:31 pm #

0-2. Ndong and Watmore

3. Charlie the bee October 17, 2017 at 3:07 pm #

Qpr are aweful a draw at home to them is as bad as it gets 3 nil bees ????

4. Mel October 17, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

The eternal optimist again an early goal for the us will be good Ruiter back in goal our first clean sheet , watmore, mcgeady (2) & Maja 4-0 to the lads come on you reds

5. Wrinkly Pete October 17, 2017 at 4:09 pm #

Well, we know we can’t stop any opposition scoring against us so, with the benefit of betting form history on my side, I shall choose a 1-1 draw.

6. William C October 17, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

Without much confidence – Brentford 0 Sunderland 1

7. Phil D October 17, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

Brentford 1 Sunderland 2

8. Paul October 17, 2017 at 6:23 pm #

3-2 away win.

9. Eric012 October 17, 2017 at 6:37 pm #

3 – 1 to me bonny lads.

• Eric012 October 21, 2017 at 5:39 pm #

Just like Sunderland I can’t hold on to a lead.

10. Mike October 17, 2017 at 9:26 pm #

The Lads to win 3-0.

11. david miller October 18, 2017 at 9:19 am #

5-2, to Brentford, a reverse of the scoreline from one of my favourite 60s Roker FA Cup games. I seem to recall they had the lead twice and a little nippy centre forward scored 2 diving headers in front of the Fulwell.

12. CSB October 18, 2017 at 9:29 am #

Brentford 0 – 0 Sunderland, our first clean sheet, bugger all good it will do us unfortunately, Grayson will survive another result and the whole sorry circus will traipse on to the next potentially sackable game for Grayson………..God, when does all this end?

13. Bill October 18, 2017 at 4:10 pm #

14. salustunderland October 26, 2017 at 6:59 am #

No winner this week. Where’s Wrinkly Pete, master of the 3-3 predictions, when you need him?