Jake: ‘have a go’

Since the Ipswich debacle, Sunderland have been unbeaten. That is the good news, the bad being that we still cannot win and the worse being that we seldom look like doing so.

I cannot comment with any authority on the 3-3 draw at Brentford. But I can say that even when I the half-time score at 3-1 in our favour, I refused to allow myself to believe we would go on to win. When Brentford scored two minutes after the break and then equalised, my real surprise was that we did not lose.

Simon Grayson is entitled to see things differently (or to feel he has to pretend he does), enabling him to say, as quoted by the Sunderland Echo:

“We are on the back of three games undefeated and it might not sound a lot but where we have come from, we are making progression with some players coming back.” We now have back-to-back home games where we have to look to get maximum points.”

Of the second-half collapse, and indeed the Brentford opening goal, he said  there was more than a touch of fortune about all three conceded goals and stuck up for his much-critised defenders. “I think they defended well, the shape of the team was quite good. There was other factors that maybe contributed to it.”

Grayson therefore we are making progress of a sort. His aim to secure back-to-back home wins looks improbable on the basis of the way SAFC have played so far this season but he right to make that his target and would be a fool to suggest any other outcome is acceptable.

Let’s have another prize Guess the Score competition for the first of these games, against Bristol City on Saturday.

Usual rules: everyone is invited to enter and that includes City fans. A suitable mug awaits the first reader who correctly forecasts the correct scoreline. Monsieur Salut’s decision shall be final and the winner must have a UK delivery address.

Have a go and ha’way the Lads.

Salut! Sunderland is written, illustrated and edited by – and principally for – supporters of Sunderland AFC. The site aims to be sufficiently literate and entertaining to appeal to people who do not follow SAFC but enjoy good football writing.

20 Responses to “Sunderland vs Bristol City Guess the Score: can we win at last?” Subscribe

1. CSB October 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm #

Sunderland 2 – 2 Bristol City, the dance goes on!

• CSB October 25, 2017 at 4:36 am #

Oh,Oh,City just put four past Palace tonight, hopefully they will be tired for the weekend clash WITH US!

2. Wrinkly Pete October 24, 2017 at 2:56 pm #

I too heard the half time score at Brentford and doubted we would win. I just hope the players aren’t as predisposed to failure as we fans have become.

It’s 3-3 for me.

3. Geoff Beech October 24, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

Lads 1 Brizzol C 3, this after bizarrely being 2-0 up at half time

GB

4. John Mac October 24, 2017 at 4:15 pm #

I’ll stick with 2-0. I’ve seen us score 2 already this season and we must keep a clean sheet some time.

But who? Ndong and Grabban, of course

5. Phil D October 24, 2017 at 4:35 pm #

2-1 to Sunderland. Still no clean sheet, but a home win at last.

6. Paul October 24, 2017 at 4:54 pm #

Sunderland to keep a clean sheet? Unlikely, but I will go, nevertheless, for 1-0 to Sunderland.

7. Eric012 October 24, 2017 at 5:42 pm #

3 – 1 to me bonny lads – won for me once, lightning to strike gain.

8. Ajm6730 October 24, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

Sooner or later we’ll win, this week or next. Whether or not it will be enough come the day of reckoning is the most worrying thing.

But one thing’s certain.
    Ellis Short, you broke my heart.
    For fifty years I’ve had a love affair with my favourite team, been all over the country, spent thousands just to be there, cheered, supported, occasionally proud but not often.
    But the mismanagement of the last ten years has been unprecedented, sickening to those of us whose loyalty has shown no bounds.
    A lesson in how not to run a potentially big football club from a so-called businessman.
    Even with a miraculous turn around it will take years to recover the hearts of young supporters who just find the club today a massive turn-off, an embarrassment
    A lost generation.
    So it looks like goodbye from both us as I’ve finally given up on ever enjoying a season again, and you, Ellis can’t possibly stay after another season like this one.

9. Bill H October 24, 2017 at 7:44 pm #

10. david miller October 24, 2017 at 8:49 pm #

I think it will be 1-1, an early goal for us and a last minute equaliser for them.

Probably a deflection, just to really rub it in.

11. William C October 25, 2017 at 9:50 am #

Clean sheet, both sides – 0-0

12. Marco October 25, 2017 at 9:55 am #

Following from Ajm6730, I have a question…or more, all Ellis Short related.

Why do so many American owners like Ellis want to own Premier League ‘soccer’ clubs? Its got to be more than the brand and prestige. Hands up everyone who thinks its because they are life long supporters of English soccer on the other side of the Atlantic…………put it down you plant pot!

So, apart from ourselves, Chelsea (dont care about debt) and Manchester United (self financed takeover), just about every other Premier League club in the riches of the top flight of the past ten years has managed to just about completely clear their debts. And we are talking in comparison to many clubs with a smaller fanbase such as Norwich and Bournemouth or at best comparable, such as West Ham, Everton, or Stoke. Why hasnt Sunderland, and how did we end up with a debt so huge?

We didnt go crazy on transfer fee’s each year, usually an average amount compared to other clubs. I heard the reports where Ellis Short has said he has put in over £160m into Sunderland. Really?..Where? He could have wiped out the debt or brought in Ronaldo for that money.

So looking at the third biggest debt in English football that has trippled since he came to the club, I’ll ask again…just what is Ellis Short getting from Sunderland?

13. JohnM October 25, 2017 at 8:47 pm #

0-3. I was at Ashton Gate ( with an immensely pissed off Palace supporting friend. They were quietly impressive, taking time to weigh up opponents, getting in stride, then totally dominating in the second half. Palace had a decent side out, but heads dropped and PVA abysmal.

14. Mike October 25, 2017 at 10:42 pm #

The Lads to win 3-2, it can be done.

15. Mel October 27, 2017 at 12:47 am #

The eternal optimist just recovering from 3rd heart surgery in as many months not might I say as a result of worrying about the lads Bristol have had a good cup result and a massive 1/4 final draw hopefully enough to take their minds of this one were scoring goals so the win is on can’t see a clean sheet and would prefer Reuiter in goal will go for 4-1 to the lads

16. Phil Clarke October 27, 2017 at 9:05 pm #

Sunderland 1 Bristol City 2

A winner from Marlon Pack (88th minute)

• salutsunderland October 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

Never mind who got the winner. You win a mug, Phil.

17. Red Clarke October 27, 2017 at 9:10 pm #