Jake: ‘As long as you’re prepared for a wait until Monsieur Salut gets his finger out, there will indeed by a prize for the winner’

The way hope was brushed aside as if no more than a slow, low-flying insect hardly inspires great confidence as Sunderland travel to Molineux, where Wolves are top, 10 points ahead of third place and winning games for fun, the last five of them on the trot.

Come back tomorrow and you’ll see why our Wolves “Who are You?” interviewee predicts an emphatic home win despite having a soft spot for Sunderland, having once lived on Wearside and been a Roker Park regular.

It is hard to quarrel with the logic of his forecast or to mistake who is who is the season’s record so far.

Position P W D L F A GD Pts
1 20 15 2 3 41 17 24 47

23 20 2 8 10 26 38 -12 14

But didn’t someone say football’s a funny game? Is it funny enough for Chris Coleman’s stretched and limited squad to pull off what shouldn’t be – looking at where the two clubs have been in recent times – but will be a huge shock?

Have a go at guessing the score. Two predictions are already taken: a 4-0 home win (see above), Who are You? volunteers always having first stab, and whatver nine-year-old Abigail Emmerson – click here to read her charming account of life as a young Sunderland supporter – comes up with, so sorry if that takes a while and you thought you were first with her prediction.

With that in mind, a non-WAY, non-Abigail winner will, if a SAFC supporter, receive a copy of Tales from The Red and Whites Volume Two – if still available from the stock in our own Pete Sixsmith’s custody (he contributed a chapter to Vulime I) or a mug if they’ve all been snapped up. A Wolves or neutral fan will be sent a suitably designed mug. Remember that any winner must have a UK delivery address. Abigail may well get a mug anyway.

Just click on the image and you can navigate the site

Salut! Sunderland is written, illustrated and edited by – and principally for – supporters of Sunderland AFC. The site aims to be sufficiently literate and entertaining to appeal to people who do not follow SAFC but enjoy good football writing.

15 Responses to “Wolves vs SAFC prize Guess the Score: a mountain to climb” Subscribe

1. John Mac December 6, 2017 at 9:59 am #

I don’t think I’m eligible so unless Abigail has chosen it this score is available to anyone else mad enough to claim it.

And good luck to you, sir or madam!

2. salutsunderland December 6, 2017 at 10:38 am #

Whatever Abigail predicts …..

Update: she says 3-1 to Wolves and may therefore be glad this is one she’ll miss (her dad shares the view of our WAY interviewee – 4-0 to them).

3. Andy Nicholls December 6, 2017 at 10:39 am #

4-0 to my Wolves (editor’s note : Andy is the Wolves WAY interviewee, article due to be published tomorrow Thursday)

4. Bill December 6, 2017 at 1:36 pm #

Against Wolves in their current form we haven’t got a chance so I’ll go 1-2 to the lads

5. Phil D December 6, 2017 at 2:12 pm #

I am in Sunderland for a short while and saw the terrible display against Reading. I don’t hold out much hope against the Wolves.

2-1 to those in old gold.

6. CSB December 6, 2017 at 2:19 pm #

Logic, common sense and form predict an easy Wolves win (4-0 quite likely and too form) however sheer bloody mindedness makes me predict the unlikely, so in an act of the utmost stupidity/loyalty/ hopefulness with a result that proves the exception to the rule/ cosmic laws of physics/ and lady luck, I’ll go for………..

Wolves 2 – Sunderland 3

• CSB December 6, 2017 at 2:23 pm #

As Chaucer almost once said and wished he had:

‘The life so brief, the art so long in the learning, the attempt so hard, the conquest so sharp, the fearful joy that ever slips away so quickly – by all this I mean bloody Sunderland AFC

7. Eric012 December 6, 2017 at 4:05 pm #

1 – 1.

8. Wrinkly Pete December 6, 2017 at 4:47 pm #

A 4-3 win to us would be ridiculous, even though I got “close” with the Reading score. Thus, it will be 3-3.

9. Mike December 6, 2017 at 7:59 pm #

I’ll go for The Lads to win 3-1, but for some reason I’m not over confident.

10. Mel December 7, 2017 at 12:51 am #

The eternal optimist again it’s against all odds but hey ho and jingle all the way Maja to play 2-0 to the lads

11. Paul December 7, 2017 at 10:54 pm #

0-0, say no more.

• Salutsunderland December 10, 2017 at 12:54 am #

Golly. A winner ….

• Paul December 12, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

Again!

12. Malc ray December 8, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Soak up loads of pressure, Wolves to have chance after chance but Sunderland to hit them with their only attack of the game = 1-0 away win