Jake: ‘have a go and just hope M Salut’s feeling generous if you win’

Oh dear, muses Monsieur Salut. The piece below was prepared before the Cardiff debacle. Will anyone be left to predict a Sunderland win? Will my absence on hols in Cuba coincide with the first entry-free Guess the Score (save for the Hull fan’s automatic one)? Or will blind faith triumph yet again? …

The first entry
in this week’s edition of Guess the Score is, as a consequence of the rule introduced this season, taken. Kathryn Townsley is our Hull City interviewee for Who are You? and reckons her lot will win 2-1.

She also thinks, as you shall read tomorrow, that we may well go down but that Hull will not. That is the basis on which she feels confident that this is not going to the second of three fixtures between the same sides played in different divisions in successive seasons.

Oh well. You can hardly blame her. We have lost so often at home this season, to the lowly and the high, that every team visiting the SoL feels entitled to fancy its chances.

Can we win all the same? Can we at last start climbing the tables in a meaningful way? Monsieur Salut is off to Cuba and, at the time of writing, is two days away from knowing the outcome of Sunderland’s trip to Cardiff.

He will be oblivious to events on Wearside flying back from Havana on matchday, unless he conjures some electronic connection to Championship coverage and/or and Pete Sixsmith’s texts.

But then I don’t suppose Sir Richard Branson stretches to wifi any more than he offers a glass of mojito on Virgin flights. You cannot even get him these days to sell you newspapers of which he disapproves (though I’d agree the Hull Daily Mail has a nobler life view than the Daily Mail he has banned).

A mug or a book awaits the winner. Be first to be right and have a UK delivery address. That more or less covers the ground rules but M Salut’s decision is always final.

Ha’way the Lads. And ha’way back tomorrow and on Thursday to see Kathryn’s superb answers to our questions. Keep checking this link and you’ll eventually find them.

24 Responses to “SAFC vs Hull City prize Guess the Score: the annual relegation scrap” Subscribe

1. CSB January 16, 2018 at 8:15 am #

Time to be brutally honest, best we can hope for is 0-0 bore draw!

2. CSB January 16, 2018 at 8:26 am #

Sunderlan Echo’s live transfer stream is sponsored by John G Hogg……..Award Winning Family Funeral Directors….how very fitting.

3. Wrinkly Pete January 16, 2018 at 9:42 am #

Oh come on! It’s not that serious. We have been in worse positions than this and beaten the drop. Anyway, I am getting closer and closer to my dream 4-3 win. Last week, for example, I got the 4, just not to the right team. Thus it will happen one day, why not this Saturday? 4-3 to The Lads although goodness knows who will score our four!

4. Paul January 16, 2018 at 9:54 am #

3-0 home win.

5. Phil D January 16, 2018 at 10:57 am #

2-0 to the lads.

Hopefully the start of a run that gets us out of trouble.

6. Laurie January 16, 2018 at 11:04 am #

Sunderland 1 v Hull City 0

• malcolm January 20, 2018 at 8:04 pm #

Looks like you scoop the jackpot but you may have to wait for M Salut to return from his jollies!

• salutsunderland January 22, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

A welcome winner! Will be in touch, Laurie

7. John Mac January 16, 2018 at 11:57 am #

two people have already gone for 2-0 so I’ll go for 2-1. A late goal gives us a bit of paninc but we see it out.

Rodwell to score both.

As if!

This score remains available as I’m not eligible

• CSB January 16, 2018 at 12:09 pm #

And neither is Rodwell!

• John Mac January 16, 2018 at 6:43 pm #

The man’s magnificent
        They wouldn’t fib about him, would they?

• CSB January 17, 2018 at 7:18 am #

No not at all, our Club and support would never sink to such levels….ahem….He will be deeply missed and it is with a sorry heart that we (hopefully) wish him bon voyage

• CSB January 18, 2018 at 8:48 am #

Oh crap, it looks like he’s not going anywhere

• CSB January 18, 2018 at 8:55 am #

Not only does he have questionable physical fitness, but his mental health would appear to be equally impaired if he believes this drivel

I’ve been at Man City and won the league, I’ve played for England, I’ve had success and good times, just not enough for someone of my ability”

• Eric012 January 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm #

Go on then John, I’ll take a chance on you being a part time soothsayer. 2 – 1 to me bonny lads.

• John Mac January 16, 2018 at 6:40 pm #

Over a year since I got it right. You have been warned

• John Mac January 20, 2018 at 5:50 pm #

I did warn you, but I’m not complaining with 1-0

• Eric012 January 21, 2018 at 6:40 pm #

3 points but no mug (or cigar). Never mind eh?

8. Mike January 17, 2018 at 12:19 am #

The Lads to win 3-2 .

9. Mel January 19, 2018 at 9:21 am #

The eternal optimist says 4-0 to the lads

10. Bill January 20, 2018 at 12:58 am #

11. Bill January 20, 2018 at 1:00 am #

I say p2-2 to the lads

12. Phil D January 22, 2018 at 2:24 pm #

Colin – my favourite place in Cuba was Trinidad. Well worth a visit, if you get a chance.

• salutsunderland January 22, 2018 at 2:31 pm #

I liked Trinidad, too, but this trip was just five nights, so only Havana save for a visit to Hemingway’s Finca and the famous Old Man of the Sea fishing village, Cojimar.

You still need a study constitution in Cuba and maybe a sense of humour (butter and pineapple, which my wife wanted for pina coladas, were the short-in-supply commodities this time) but I’d recommend it to anyone except Martin Emmerson, who’s been and hated it