Jake: ‘roll up, roll up for the famous Salut! Sunderland Guess the Score competition’

It is a fact of life as we find it, says Monsieur Salut. Sunderland start the Carabao Cup tie (league cup to you and me) against the Owls on Thursday night as lower-league underdogs.

While we all hope that situation will last for only one season – unless, contrary to the expectations of many of their own fans – Sheff Wed reach the Premier League, we have to regard them as, for now, the bigger team if hardly the bigger club.

Supporters are often divided on the merits of a good league cup run. The paltry attendances in early rounds bear witness to a fair degree of apathy.

My view is a simple one: I want Sunderland to win every game they play. It doesn’t happen, but that’s how I approach each match. So I’m rooting for a good, confidence-boosting result that takes us through to the next round.

Do you agree? Whatever your view, have a go at guessing the score. Remember there’ll be no extra time; if the scores are level after 90 minutes, the match goes directly to penalties. Tell us how you think a shoot-out would go by all means, but for competition purposes only the full-time score counts.

There’ll be a prize mug for the winner and the usual rules apply. Be first with the final score, have a UK delivery address and a mug shall be yours (design to alter, of course, should you support Sheff Wed).

A reader signing his comments as David correctly went for 1-1 for Luton Town vs SAFC and will be receiving his prize in due course. I have suspended, for now, last season’s policy of automatically entering the scoreline prediction of our Who are You? interviewee, mainly because I usually forget to post it before someone else opts for that outcome.

Ha’way the Lads – and come back later today for the Sheffield Wednesday “Who are You?”.

The SAFC dressing room mug

15 Responses to “SAFC vs Sheffield Wednesday prize Guess the Score: we’re the underdogs” Subscribe

1. Eric012 August 14, 2018 at 8:12 am #

Underdogs! Underdogs! We are playing at home against a middle of the road team that are one division higher and that have recently spent time in the 3rd Division themselves. In my eyes that makes us at least level. A confident prediction of fower nowt (4 – 0 for you non Mackem speakers).

2. Paul August 14, 2018 at 8:59 am #

2-1 to Sunderland and a further chance for a new team to gel in a competitive game. That is an advantage of an early cup run.

3. CSB August 14, 2018 at 9:29 am #

First clean sheet, Sunderland 2 – 0 Wednesday

4. Mel Bond August 14, 2018 at 9:38 am #

The eternal optimist says keep tabs on Adam Reach their capt from Chester le Street n a mag and 3-0 to the lads

5. James August 14, 2018 at 9:40 am #

6. James Langley August 14, 2018 at 9:41 am #

7. Malcolm Ray August 14, 2018 at 9:53 am #

No cup run this year, Sunderland 1 Sheffield 2

8. Bill August 14, 2018 at 10:52 am #

9. John Mac August 14, 2018 at 12:18 pm #

And this without a centre forward

10. Phil D August 14, 2018 at 12:45 pm #

All of the sensible scores have gone. I fancy us for a win but:

Sunderland 0 Sheff Wed 1

11. wrinkly pete August 14, 2018 at 3:50 pm #

Can’t get there to suffer palpitations as my 4-3 win to The Lads gradually unfolds.

12. malcolm August 14, 2018 at 4:07 pm #

6 – 0 to us. Ozturk 2, Gooch 2, Matthews and Baldwin. Can we play triallists? I remember seeing the Brazilian Marcos di Guiseppe play at Walsall in the League Cup on a night when Danny Dichio nabbed two, as did Chocolate Fireguard in a 5 – 0 win on a ground with signs saying ” NO BALL GAMES”.

If so then that young Pole might be worth a game up front if he hasn’t been sent home yet. I know you read this Jack Ross!

• malcolm August 16, 2018 at 12:29 am #

Looks like Matthews will be missing through injury. That’ll be 5 – 0 then!

13. Edward Watson August 14, 2018 at 9:43 pm #