Only one person can win Guess the Score. If it’s not you, click the image to buy one

Another Saturday, another trip to Walsall. After last week’s eventful 2-2 draw in League One, the Lads return to the Bescot for the FA Cup 2nd round.

The Barnsley midweek game produced a Guess the Score winner, the first for a few games. Malcolm Ray, no stranger to prizes from Salut! Sunderland, will soon be the owner of a copy of Managers, Volume III of the Tales From the Red and Whites series, kindly donated by the publishers.

Jake, also lead vocalist in the trio Murder Valley, sings: ‘Have a go .. there’s even a prize again’

The book features six past SAFC managers “speaking openly and honestly” about their spells at Roker Park or the Stadium of Light. We hear from Ken Knighton, Lawrie McMenemy, Malcolm Crosby, Peter Reid, Gus Poyet and Simon Grayson. And since we were sent two copies, let’s make the second our Guess the Score prize for Saturday’s game.

Many readers will go directly, as I did, to the chapter on McMenemy, an abject failure in the managerial seat.

‘Looking back, I’m sorry for the supporters,’ he tells the co-author, Rob Mason, club historian and formerly programme editor (Graeme Anderson and Lance Hardy are the others responsible for this valuable work).

‘I’m sorry I didn’t bring what people wanted. I’m not making excuses. I had two years and I didn’t succeed. The area is built on football. It’s a release for the working man to go the match on Saturday afternoon and shout his head off. I was brought up on that … that’s why I wanted to succeed at Sunderland more than anywhere, and that’s why it hurts still to this day that I didn’t succeed.’

One reader can succeed at Salut! Sunderland. Get the score right, be first to do so and have a UK delivery address. That second copy will be yours. Monsieur Salut’s decision shall be final and while Walsall fans are very welcome to have a go, the prize will still be Managers.

And if you’d like to reflect on the fine win against Barnsley, take a look at Malcom Dawson’s excellent appraisal of what the matchday programme editor Oscar Chamberlain described to me earlier today as “a cracker”.

To visit Salut! Sunderland’s home page, just click on Jake’s adaptation of Matt’s cartoon

15 Responses to “Walsall vs SAFC again: another prize Guess the Score (after the Barnsley ‘cracker’)” Subscribe

1. Eric012 November 28, 2018 at 4:43 pm #

With 11 players on the pitch for 90 minutess we’ll get 2 more than last week and concede 2 less. Therefore fower nowt is the only sensible outcome.

2. Bill November 28, 2018 at 4:55 pm #

3. James Langley November 28, 2018 at 5:06 pm #

3~1 to the lads

4. steve the saddler November 28, 2018 at 5:32 pm #

get ready for an upset sunderland 1 walsall 3

5. Mel Bond November 28, 2018 at 5:42 pm #

The eternal optimist says if we play like the first half of last night it will be a definite 5 -0 to the lads and a nice birthday present for me

6. Phil D November 28, 2018 at 6:03 pm #

2-0 to Sunderland. A clean sheet and a win.

7. Paul November 28, 2018 at 7:28 pm #

1-0 to Sunderland

8. John Mac November 28, 2018 at 8:03 pm #

so close yet again, so I have to stick to 2-3. I’m not sure ONien will score all 5 though. Probably only 1 from him, one from Maja and one more from midfield

I’m clearing that space on the bookshelf

9. Mike November 28, 2018 at 8:28 pm #

The Lads to win 3-0, no mistake this time.

10. CSB November 29, 2018 at 9:06 am #

Walsall 0 – 1 Sunderland, mid week exertions start to catch up to the lads and we will probably see some on the field changes.

11. Chris iddon November 29, 2018 at 9:09 am #

2-1 to the lads.

12. Terry November 29, 2018 at 9:53 am #

Walsall 3 – 4 Sunderland. A goal-fest. Can’t we just do sedate two nil wins? I’m not good under tension.

13. David November 29, 2018 at 10:58 am #

Not many realistic scores left now so I’ll go with the same utterly possible score as tuesday.
    Sunderland to win 4-2.
    I’d also like to show my support for Max who has been treated unfairly and very badly by some fans.
    And to Jack Ross, please sign the latest triallist! A team with Max Power and Sam Smart can’t fail to be successful.

14. wrinkly pete November 29, 2018 at 3:11 pm #

Damn! Terry has clearly been following my progress and saw how close I was Tuesday and got in first with “my” 4-3.
    So, I now say 5-4 to The Lads