This may be one Jake made earlier

This started as something resembling a blind edition of Guess the Score

Monsieur Salut has faith in Sunderland AFC but, as work began on this, was about to leave for France for the new year.

As a result, he needed to prepare the regular features in advance, so far in advance that he did not know the outcomes of either Shrewsbury at home or Blackpool away. Well, we discovered in time that the Shrewsbury match ended disappointingly at 1-1 – but Blackpool was still to come.

As a quick update, I was able to follow events from Blackpool thanks to Barnes and Benno so am as delighted as any other supporter with the win – and share their worries about the immediate future of our classy but in-demand goalscorer Josh Maja.

And now for Charlton and the Valley.

It took a while to find a volunteer for “Who are you?” but desperate appeals on social media and at the Into the Valley fan site finally produced a willing candidate. His interview will appear later in the week.

In the meantime, have a go, guess the score at the Valley and – if you win – provide a UK delivery address to which prize mug may be sent. Oh, and Ha’way the Lads.

Monsieur Salut, adapted by Jake from Matt’s cartoon. Click on it to reach the Salut! Sunderland home page

23 Responses to “The Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland prize Guess the Score. Not quite blind faith” Subscribe

1. CSB January 2, 2019 at 11:28 am #

Charlton 1- 2 Sunderland.

This will be a test as Charlton are chasing promotion also, a good six pointer. We need more end product in this game than of late as well as remaining tight at the back.

2. malcolm January 2, 2019 at 11:29 am #

We have a couple of tough but important league matches coming up and a must win (can’t win whatever we do) game in the EFL Cup on Tuesday so I’m not going for my normal 6-0 for this one.

I’ll leave the field open for others before I log my prediction.

• wrinkly pete January 2, 2019 at 12:41 pm #

Get off the fence! Far too easy to predict when you have seen what others choose.

• malcolm January 2, 2019 at 2:11 pm #

I know what I think and won’t change my mind and someone else has already gone for it.

• malcolm January 3, 2019 at 11:32 pm #

And now I will confess I would have gone for 1-1 though I still think we’ve done well only to lose two games so far and there will be five or six before the season ends. As I have access to the site before postings go public I like to give other first dabs at predictions. Now it’ll be just my luck for us to win 6-0!

We are in a better place at the half way mark than I thought we would be at the start of the season and apart from fairly comfortable wins over Scunthorpe, Rochdale and Southend we haven’t been dominating games. But Portsmouth and the others around us will also drop points over the coming months – this is a tough league.

3. David January 2, 2019 at 12:27 pm #

A creditable 1-1.

• malcolm January 5, 2019 at 5:09 pm #

There you go – a mug for you – first time I’ve ever got it right too!

• David January 9, 2019 at 12:20 pm #

I’d happily give you my mug if you’re distraught!

• malcolm January 9, 2019 at 12:30 pm #

Not at all! Just think of me when you drink your tea! 🙂

4. Malcolm Ray January 2, 2019 at 12:39 pm #

Continue with a clean sheet and a couple of goals – Sunderland 2-0 away win, but any win will do

5. wrinkly pete January 2, 2019 at 12:43 pm #

We can’t stop scoring and neither can they. I will be there suffering the nerve jangling 4-3 win to The Lads.

6. John Mac January 2, 2019 at 12:44 pm #

2-3.

This will be a tough game but Wyke will work well with Maja and set him up. Maja will create a bit of space and Wyke will score from a loose ball after a corner. McGeady or O’Nien will score late on in the game after Watmore creates panic in the box.

We’ll also hit the bar (Power), the post (Gooch) and have a blatantly clear goal (McGeady) disallowed.

Five yellow cards between the two teams.

No idea what else will happen.

7. Eric012 January 2, 2019 at 12:59 pm #

The last time I went to Charlton was 1980. If my ailing and untrustworthy memory serves me right we won 4 – 0. As this is my current score of choice it’s a good omen. I seem to remember that the Valley terraces were so vast (and the crowd so small) that we had plenty of standing room. Once again then, it’s a fower nowt victory.

8. Phil D January 2, 2019 at 2:16 pm #

Another 1-0 win for the lads.

9. Mel Bond January 2, 2019 at 11:28 pm #

The eternal optimist says that the lads did well on Tuesday but still no killer instinct and we rode our luck again but in for a penny in for a pound five nowt to the lads

10. David miller January 3, 2019 at 6:21 pm #

I think 2-2

11. David miller January 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm #

And who is the prat giving everyone the thumbs down?

Assume it’s gender fluid.

• malcolm January 3, 2019 at 11:23 pm #

Well I have my suspicions. It’s either a Charlton fan who’s come across the site or our infrequent visitor who Pete thinks is a Mag in disguise as (s)he never says anything positive.

12. Bill January 4, 2019 at 11:33 am #

1-3 to the lads. Going for two in a row (still waiting to hear from Monsieur Salut! about my prize).

• salutsunderland January 4, 2019 at 12:03 pm #

Just back from France, Bill. Give me the five names as usual and it’ll be yours

• Phil D January 5, 2019 at 4:13 pm #

I am still waiting on two prizes Monsieur Salut. I could email you the links, if you want.

13. Mike January 4, 2019 at 10:28 pm #

The Lads to win 3-0,though expect this to be a tough one.

14. Edward January 5, 2019 at 4:49 am #

I’ll go for 0-0 (mainly because I’ve got a soft spot for Charlton (despite them ruining my only trip to Wembley).