It’s over bar the playoffs. Another failure to win ends any real prospect of an automatic promotion place.

Drawing at home to Portsmouth didn’t cause this huge disappointment. We had already shot ourselves in one foot, losing that crazy 5-4 game at home to Coventry, and then in the other one after going ahead late at Peterborough, says Monsieur Salut. Not to mention what someone called a billion other draws.

Each time we stumbled, others just got on with doing their jobs.

A glance at the other results has tended to confirm our fears: no one else has been slipping up as often at this crucial stage of the season.

We are now playing for pride and whatever advantage we can gain from trying to win our remaining games. But we keep going.

The little bits of advertising we get have enabled us to offer a prize ahead of most games, each time for the first reader to post a correct scoreline prediction.

This will be maintained for the Fleetwood and Southend games and, indeed, for the two or three that follow them,.

Have a go. If you win, you’ll be sent a mug provided you have a UK delivery address. Ha’way the Lads.

14 Responses to “Fleetwood Town vs Sunderland. Down to playing for pride” Subscribe

1. Eric012 April 29, 2019 at 7:02 am #

I sense a mood of despondency M Salut. Not what we expected (or wanted) I agree, but heyho, start saving now and you may be able to afford one of those disgusting burger things should we grace Wembley with our presence again. I will predict 1 – 1 at Fleetwood and Sarf’ End.

• malcolm April 29, 2019 at 9:20 am #

The sense of despondency you speak about has come about because earlier in the season things went better than most people had hoped for over the summer. Back then for most people, ending up in a play off place would have been seen as a successful season. Hopes were raised by a series of wins and games in hand so now it is disappointing that we almost certainly have to miss out on automatic promotion.

I am disappointed but back in the summer I thought if we got back into the Championship in 2020 after a season of stability it would be progress. There has been a massive turn around in the way the club is being run and the type of personalities who pull on the shirt each week. I’m happy with that, though of course I still want us to go up and would rather be going to Forest and Sheffield rather than Fleetwood and Scunthorpe.

I know there are plenty of supporters out there who won’t agree with me but I find the seasons we are not in the Premiership much more enjoyable than those when we are – last season apart.

2. John Mac April 29, 2019 at 8:28 am #

I’ve just put Pete’s First Time piece up (another good read) so I have to come on early to carry over my 1-3 prediction before someone else takes it.

Kimpioka, McGeouch, if fit, Power

http://salutsunderland.com/2019/04/the-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-ground-fleetwood-town-and-highbury/ for Pete

3. Terry April 29, 2019 at 9:14 am #

Hope triumphing experience, I’m going for a 1-2 away win.

4. wrinkly pete April 29, 2019 at 1:50 pm #

I simply cannot believe the negativity from the previous entries and am amazed John Mc has not pointed out the obvious set of results below:
    30/4/19 Fleetwood Town 1-4 SAFC
    Portsmouth 0-0 Peterborough
    4/5/19 Bristol Rovers 1-0 Barnsley
    Luton 0-1 Oxford
    Portsmouth 3-0 Accrington
    Southend 1-4 SAFC
    resulting in a first ever top four locked on 91 points. Goal difference of +45 gives Luton the title and we finish runners up after tying on points and goal difference (+41) with Barnsley but pip them with more goals scored, 86 to 79.
    If you think this is fanciful, who would have guessed SAFC 4-5 Cov.??

5. Bill April 29, 2019 at 2:34 pm #

0-3 to the lads and foul to the thug Barton

6. Bill April 29, 2019 at 2:36 pm #

Bloody autocorrect – I put fcuk not foul!!

7. David April 29, 2019 at 5:11 pm #

A very positive and life-affirming 0-2 win for our team.

8. Mike April 29, 2019 at 7:02 pm #

The Lads to win 3-2 and keep it interesting for the weekend.

9. KevS April 29, 2019 at 9:49 pm #

We are not just playing for pride. It’s important that we pick up enough points this week to be at home in the second leg of the playoffs. 4-0 to the Rokermen

• malcolm April 30, 2019 at 8:46 am #

I’m with you Kev. We shouldn’t concede defeat when there is still a chance, no matter how slim, of finishing in the top two. Not many people tipped Leicester to win the Premier League. Some bloke won £182,500 at Cheltenham on £2 six horse accumulator.

The odds are against it but a 3 0 win tonight will be a start and keep hopes alive.

• salutsunderland April 30, 2019 at 12:10 pm #

In case the goalfest necessary should materialise, I am stocking up on lots of mayonnaise and mustard since it would be one heck of a eat-my-words exercise. I’d eat them gladly, though

• malcolm April 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm #

Well if you can eat andouillette, I’m sure you’ll have no problem with a few nouns and verbs stuffed into a baguette. Bon appetit.

10. Paul April 30, 2019 at 2:07 pm #