Jake flags our new columnist

Jake flags our new columnist

John McCormick writes: I’m frequently surprised by stats showing how little possession we have when we look untroubled for long periods. Today was another example. Saints pressed but rarely bothered our keeper and when they did he rose to the challenge on every occasion but one. Unfortunately that one time gave Southampton a point – I was going to say gifted a point but, in reality, our attack was poor and we didn’t threaten much ourselves.

Looking untroubled must mean our defence is improving, mustn’t it? I thought it not only looked solid in the centre but also coped with wide balls and tricky wingers, so I do think things are looking up.

But does David Moyes? The letter he sent to M Salut (and perhaps a couple of others) immediately after the game is a little short on optimism:

Dear Colin

I’m happy to get a point, but disappointed we didn’t get three and that we couldn’t see the game out.

Jordan Pickford knows he could have done better for the goal, but apart from that I think he did very well throughout the game.

It was always going to be hard coming here as we know Southampton are a good side and they did well against Manchester United last week.

Jake: 'it's a start'

Jake: ‘it’s a start’

They had a lot of the ball and there were times we had to defend really well. We had a period just before half time where we did really well but we know we’ve got to improve on that.

We’ve still got work to do and we know that, we must stop dropping points in games and see them out until the end.

It’s important that we’ve got that point on the board, especially from a difficult away game. I said I thought we were unlucky to drop points at Man City and I think the same here today.

We’ve now got to work on turning around the stuff that isn’t going in our favour and get more points on the board.

There’s an international break coming now and that hopefully gives us time to get players in and get injured players back fit again.

Thanks for your support,

David Moyes

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Moyes on the boys: Southampton are a good team” Subscribe

1. malcolm August 27, 2016 at 5:29 pm #

Thought Manquillo looked good today. Hopefully Kone goes nowhere and the defence gets the chance to gel in training before Everton visit.

See what happens between now and Wednesday but I hope it’s more in and none out.

• Jake August 27, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

I agree about Manquillo, early days but he looks to be a vast improvement on Yedlin, Jones and Love. If we can keep Koné I think he and Papy can forge a strong partnership so that’s the defence sorted. Now then, if only we can get The Hoff back fit and re-sign M’Vila we’ll be looking canny.

2. Bill Taylor August 27, 2016 at 5:49 pm #

One thing seems certain — we need another goalkeeper. Pickford is promising but he’s not quite ready for prime time and needs to be brought on more slowly. I hope we can add Joe Hart to the squad. His treatment at ManCity has been rather shabby, I think, with little prospect of that changing. He may not be thrilled at the prospect of playing for us but it’s probably his best option right now and certainly ours.

• malcolm August 27, 2016 at 6:12 pm #

Don Vito has made his share of howlers remember. Think back to the last minute at Man City a couple of seasons back when his last minute fumble cost us two points. With more playing time Pickford will be fine. He made some good saves today and commanded his area.

Hart would be a drain on the finances which could well impact on bringing in players in more vital areas. We need another experienced keeper like Harper who will not expect to start but will be able to do the job if called upon.

3. Bill Taylor August 27, 2016 at 6:39 pm #

Not that big a drain if Citeh cover most of his wages. He and Pickford could even play every other game.

4. Jeremy August 27, 2016 at 9:36 pm #

Jordan Pickford is a young goalkeeper who has a very bright future ahead of him. He is inexperienced at this level so will make mistakes. If he is anywhere as good as he appears to be he will learn from his mistakes and not repeat them. The only way he can ready to play at this level is to play at this level.

He’s one of our own and has the gloves for now.

5. Bill Taylor August 27, 2016 at 9:52 pm #

I would argue that we can’t afford to give him his head right now. If we had a few points in hand, then he could make a few mistakes and we’d get away with it. But it’s too risky.

• malcolm August 27, 2016 at 10:44 pm #

Did you not see Hart in the Euros? Don’t you remember the howler he let in against us? Sign him on loan and he’s with us for a year. No keeper is infallible and you are being harsh on JP. Vito will be fit by Christmas. Pickford will be a top keeper. Hart is not the solution in my opinion.

• Jake August 27, 2016 at 10:52 pm #

Jordan stopped a few certain goals today, his error was unfortunate but we should stick by him, he’ll learn. I thought Moyes’ comments on MOTD were a bit harsh on Pickford, give the lad a chance and I’m sure he’ll be OK.

• Bill Taylor August 27, 2016 at 11:55 pm #

I think Hart is being under-rated. Pickford may well become a top keeper — I wouldn’t argue with that. But with him as our number one, by Christmas our goose could be cooked.

• malcolm August 28, 2016 at 11:31 am #

This echoes my feelings – even if it is the Chronicle.

• Jake August 28, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

Spot on Malcolm.

6. Keith Hutton Africa August 27, 2016 at 10:08 pm #

Solid performance today New line up totally different personnel. We got better as the game went on everybody did their job. Organised not perfect but promising. Pickford will do for me. want Khazri and M’Vila in the team and we can’t afford to not get the best out of Lens he is a footballer Future looks bright

7. William C August 28, 2016 at 9:06 pm #

I agree with most of the comments endorsing Pickford. He is an established youth and under 21 international. He is not after all a teenager, and he looks pretty good to me.

I would guess that he is as good if not better than some of the PL ‘keepers at the present time, and three months of first team experience will hopefully add to his confidence [ which I don’t think he lacks anyway ]

David Moyes is an adept manager of young players, and I’ll trust his judgement whatever he decides to do.

I would consider bringing back Steve Harper on a short term contract as back up.

• Eric012 August 29, 2016 at 10:42 am #

Harper has apparently retired and is goalie coach at a nondescript Championship outfit.

• malcolm August 29, 2016 at 11:01 am #

Yup – in my initial comment I meant someone who like Steve Harper last season, is an experienced keeper nearing the end of his days – not Harper himself.